Resting Energy Expenditure information and pre-test requirements
What is REE?
- REE measures the amount of energy (that is, calories) your body uses while in a rested state.
- It is calculated by measuring the amount of oxygen the body consumes and the amount of carbon dioxide produced.
Why Measure REE?
- To assess your body's energy requirements (calorie requirements) at rest.
- To inform your trainer and dietitian/nutritionist how best to tailor your fitness program to get results.
REE Test Protocol
- Your height and weight will be measured.
- You will be required to lie for 20 minutes before we start the measurement.
- You will then lie with a clear canopy over your head, which measures you breathing, for a further 30 minutes.
- Room air is drawn through the canopy at a fixed rate, while the air you breathe out of the canopy is collected and analysed for oxygen and carbon dioxide levels.
- Total testing session time is 1 hour.
Pre test requirements:
- No food or exercise for 3 hrs prior.