CHRC RHD Student Support Fund
RHD candidates who are undertaking projects predominantly within the CHRC and whose principal advisor is a staff member of CHRC can apply for up to $3,000 per annum pro-rata to be used to support their research training.
Funds are primarily for conference travel and other project-related travel. Other approved candidature-related expenses rquire agreement between the candidate and their principal advisor and may include:
- training workshops,
- lab placements, or
- access to scientific facilities.
Eligibility and Conditions
Who is eligibile?
To be eligible to apply for this funding, RHD candidates must:
- be currently undertaking a project predominantly within the CHRC, and
- have a principal advisor who is a staff member of CHRC
How often can students apply for funding under this scheme?
- PhD students may apply for funding each year for a maximum of three years.
- MPhil students may apply for funding each year for a maximum of 2 years.
Can students receive funding from this scheme if they are in reciept of support funds from other UQ organisational units?
- Students may not concurrently receive RHD support funds from other schools, centres or institutes within UQ
At what stage of candidature can students apply for funding?
- Funds will not be awarded retrospectively.
- Applications from new candidates will be accepted only once the census date for the research quarter of first enrolment has passed.
- Applications can be made at any time during candidature up until thesis submission, subject to maintaining satisfactory progress in accordance with UQ rules eg. attainment of milestones.
- Applications for international conference travel prior to confirmation will only be considered with adequate justification.
- Special conditions apply to applications submitted in the final stages of candidature: late stage applications for conference travel will only be considered for students presenting data from their thesis at a conference to be held within 6 months of the application date.
What happens to unspent funds?
- Any unspent funds will be forfeited at the end of candidature.
- Additional applications may be considered after attendance at one domestic and one international conference.
- Computers or equipment bought with the money remain the property of the Centre and must be returned at the end of candidature
Steps to Apply for Funding
- Discuss your intended purchase with your principal advisor.
- Download the application form.
- Complete a single application (including all expenses) for each purchase item or travel event. Please note that requests for additional expenses or requests for total amounts less than $100 will not be processed.
- Collate the appropriate supporting documentation (eg. quotes and/or a travel budget spreadsheet).
- Ensure the application form is signed by you and your supervisor.
- Email the completed and endorsed paperwork to the CHRC Finance team (email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Rules and Timeframes for Processing of Applications
- The CHRC Finance team will review your applications against eligibility rules and will contact you and your advisor to confirm process for gaining travel approvals and/or purchasing listed items.
- Applications for non-travel related expenses will take 3 weeks to process.
- Applications for travel-related expenses should be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to any purchase deadlines (such as early bird registration).
- University funds cannot be accessed prior to completion of all travel approvals (including Unifi travel approval).
- Processing of late applications cannot be prioritised.
- The student support fund cannot be used to retrospectively reimburse purchases made prior to granting of travel approvals. Reimbursement will only be possible for future purchases made after travel approval has been granted (e.g. local transport expenses included in your budget).